Tuesday, November 20, 2012

White Christmas


Christmas isn't Christmas without snow.  And what better way to share your love of crocheting with your friends and family then making them a snowflake ornament?




I pulled out my snowflake patterns and started to make snowflakes.  As soon as I got to the third pattern, I knew I found a keeper.  




I adapted the pattern slightly because I think there is such a thing as too many frills.

Using the smallest hook I own (a 7) and thread, I started with Chain 5 and slip stitched it together to form a ring.
Round 1: Chain 6.  *1 dc in ring, ch 3** Repeat from * to ** 10 more times.  Slip stitch final chain 3 into 3rd chain of beginning chain 6.
Round 2: Chain 1.  *1 sc, chain 7, 1 sc in chain 3 space.  2 sc in next chain 3 space.** Repeat from * to ** 5 more times.  Slip Stitch in slip stitch of previous round.
Round 3: Chain 1.  *In chain 7 space: (2 sc, chain 2, 3 dc, 2 tr, chain 4, slip stitch in first chain of chain 4 too make a picot, 1 tr, 3 dc, chain 2, 2 sc).  Skip next sc.  1 Sc in next 2 sc.**  Repeat from * to ** 5 more times.  Join with slip stitch to finish.

Tip:  I crochet around my end in Round 1 so I only have one end to weave in when I finish the snowflake.  Just lay the end along the side of the ring and crochet around the two strands together.


To starch my snowflakes (and anything else I starch) I have a piece of cardboard with saran wrap wrapped around it multiple times which I reuse over and over.  Using simple quilting pins, I stretch and pin the snowflakes, starch them several times with spray starch (use liberally), then unpin them, flip them over and starch them once on the flip side.  If you stretch them well, you shouldn't have to iron them at all.  Then use a paper clip looped through one of the picots to hang the ornament on a tree.




Merry Christmas!

1 comment:

  1. These are so cute! I can't wait to see the finished other Christmas thing! And some day you should teach me to be a better crocheter!

    ReplyDelete